Influence of Spanish Speaking Immigrants on Colorado Agriculture
(Archuleta, Delta, Larimer, Mesa, Pueblo)
Goals, Scope and Objectives:
• A historical review of the contributions made by Spanish speaking immigrants to Colorado agriculture
• The intern will cover contributions made Spanish speaking immigrants in Colorado
The interns will work with extension staff to increase the awareness of Hispanic cuisines’ influence on Colorado agriculture. The intern will create a fact sheet discussing the arrival of Spanish speaking immigrants in the state, what foods are common in their cuisine, which ingredients used in the cuisine can be grown in Colorado, and any agricultural production techniques that were introduced by the people. Upon completion of the fact sheet it will be translated into Spanish.
The intern should be based within fifty miles of one of the mentors.
• To expand CSU Extension’s diversity efforts
• Improve the student’s understanding of professional activities within extension
• To create a welcoming environment in extension offices for multicultural visitors
With which stakeholder group(s) will the intern work?
What student learning outcomes do you anticipate and what are the opportunities for professional development?
a. Improve communications in Colorado
b. Understand principles of research
c. Write extension publications